Tesla sparked the explosion in the electric vehicle (EV for short) market. The extended range and more affordable models helped boost the U.S. electric car market by 81 percent. The Tesla Model 3, the most affordable model Tesla has built to date, gave a lot of potential electric car buyers the motivation they needed to switch from gas to electric. Overall, demand has shown automakers there is a need to be filled. Automakers responded by being innovative and producing more options than we’ve ever seen before.
Here are the top electric vehicles we’re excited to see in 2019.
The Most Affordable
- This hatchback, similar in size to the Chevy Bolt, is the most bang for your buck. The Hyundai Kona has the best range and price of any compact or subcompact vehicle. It’s under $40,000, and is eligible for the full $7,500 tax credit from the federal government.
- The Kona EV is a direct competitor for the Tesla Model 3 (with the long-range battery pack.) In comparison, the Model 3 has a 310 mile range, starts at $49,000 and is currently eligible for $3,750 in federal tax credits.
Kia Niro EV
- The Kia Niro EV has a wheelbase roughly four inches longer than the Hyundai Kona EV and it has a bit more passenger volume. The range is a little lower at 239 miles, but it is still a big improvement from the average mile range of an affordable all electric car in 2018.
The Most Innovative
- One market that has been left relatively untapped is the luxury electric car market. Jaguar entered the market In 2018 when they released the I-Pace, an all electric SUV, and that’s just the beginning. Audi is unveiling its luxury SUV with a $74,800 base price with a 248 mile range.
- This is the car we’re most excited about because of the advanced batteries and charging stations. It’s projected to have the fastest charging out of all electric cars, ever. When plugged into a DC fast charger, the Porsche Taycan will charge at 62 miles in four minutes, and 250 miles in 20 minutes. With 600 hp and capability to go 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds, the Taycan is sure to be a game changer.